With 141 ratings
By: Joe Conway , Aaron Hillegass , et al.
Purchased At: $39.99
Updated and expanded to cover iOS 7 and Xcode 5, iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide leads you through the essential concepts, tools, and techniques for developing iOS applications. After completing this book, you will have the know-how and the confidence you need to tackle iOS projects of your own. Based on Big Nerd Ranch's popular iOS Bootcamp course and its well-tested materials and methodology, this bestselling guide teaches iOS concepts and coding in tandem. The result is instruction that is relevant and useful.
Throughout the book, the authors explain what's important and share their insights into the larger context of the iOS platform. You get a real understanding of how iOS development works, the many features that are available, and when and where to apply what you've learned.
Here are some of the topics covered:
- Xcode 5, Instruments, and Storyboards
- Building interfaces using the iOS 7 aesthetic
- ARC and strong and weak references
- Handling touch events and gestures
- Toolbars, navigation controllers, and split view controllers
- Using Auto Layout to scale user interfaces
- Using Dynamic Type to scale fonts
- Localization and Internationalization
- Block syntax and use
- Saving/loading data: Archiving and Core Data
- Core Location and Map Kit
- Communicating with web services using JSON
- Using the Model-View-Controller-Store design pattern